The French Regions
The French regions mobilized up to 100% for the climate
For the French regions, this global public debate is a major appointment to mobilize citizens for a global agreement on climate in December 2015 in Paris. On June 6th, 14 regions, coordinated by the the Association of French Regions (ARF), are organizing citizen consultations: Aquitaine, Auvergne, Basse and Haute-Normandie, Centre – Val de Loire, Franche-Comté, Guadeloupe, Île-de-France, Martinique, Nord – Pas-de-Calais, Poitou-Charentes, Provence – Alpes-Côte-d’Azur, La Réunion, Rhône-Alpes.
On May 25th 2013, the citizen consultation organized as part of the national debate on energy transition had already gathered 1 115 citizens in 14 regions. This citizen mobilization had led to the submission of 30 proposals to the Government for the bill on the energy transition.
Based on the success of this first edition, the regions have joined very early the World Wide Views. Their logistical and financial support is one of the pillars of this great citizen consultation.
The mobilization of territories, non-state actors such as civil society, is one of the keys to the success of COP21. Even if a satisfactory multilateral agreement is reached in Paris, it cannot be effectively implemented without the contribution of dynamic field staffs. Moreover, this agreement will come into force in 2020 and non-state actors are already acting in the territories.
The solutions to face the climate change are already being experienced in the 27 regions of France. Their positive agenda published ahead of the COP21 prooves it. Throughout the year, the Regions are acting to develop the renewable energy sectors, to adapt the territories to climate change. They are training professionals in tomorrow’s jobs, they promote sustainable mobility, they mobilize civil society, and establish new financial devices.
Beyond the meeting of June 6th, the Regions are mobilized strongly to the success of the Paris conference through hundreds of events. The most important of them are:
- On June 4th and 5th, the Region Provence – Alpes-Côte d’Azur will organize a climate Mediterranean summit. The “Medcop” will endorsed the launch of a Mediterranean cooperation process. A process called for the French President of the Republic.
- On July 1st and 2nd 2015, the Region Rhône-Alpes will host a World Summit on Climate and Territories. This event dedicated to the civil society will held many working sessions. The nine major UN groups should bring out proposed amendments on the text that will be debated in Paris next December.
- From the 24th to 29th of November, the Region Île-de-France will host the “Conference of youth”. A few days before the COP21, the conference expects to welcome 10,000 young people worldwide, with a quarter of Parisians, to raise awareness on climate issues
- From the 30th of November to the 11th of December, the Regions and their partners will be present at the COP at Le Bourget to present their mobilization against global warming.
Some examples of regional policies for the climate, from the positive agenda of French Regions
- Alsace: via a call for applications “companies and energy efficiency”, the Region has decided to set up a supporting device, dedicated to businesses, generating energy savings for process and utilities. 44 investments were supported in 2011-2014, saving 37,501 tones of CO2 / year.
- Aquitaine: going against the conclusion that it is currently difficult for scientists to measure at a local level the impact of climate change, the Aquitaine Region took a one of a kind initiative: the launch in 2011 of a permanent Scientific Committee, led by climatologist Herve Le Treut, member of the Academy of Sciences and IPCC. The examination of the impact of climate change on the horizon 2030-2050 in Aquitaine enabled to establish recommendations for politics, and proposals to support the adaptation of the environment and people.
- Pays de la Loire: since summer 2012, the region has placed the Loire in the heart of the energy debate. More than 5 000 people have contributed to the construction of the regional energy transition scenario, starting of customs and lifestyles.
- Picardie: since September 2013, by creating a department of public utilities in energy efficiency (SPEE), the Region has the competency of thermal rehabilitation of individual housing. The aim: to rehabilitate 10,000 houses per year, starting in 2018.
- Poitou-Charentes: the Region has decided to support the photovoltaic sector, with the Regional Solar Plan in 2008, and, in March 2011, with the establishment of a photovoltaic resistance fund: the ESTER device “Solar Electricity of Territories”, (400 million€ funded by the European Investment Bank and the bank Crédit Agricole). This public-private partnership for the production of photovoltaic electricity at a reasonable cost, is the result of a unique alliance between the Region, Solairedirect (photovoltaic independent operator), Sorégies and Séolis (local energy distribution companies).
- Rhône-Alpes: the Region has embarked on the path of circular ecology, acting concretely through its innovation policies and eco-innovation, economic development, research or training. Among these actions, together with ADEME (French Agency for Environment and Energy Management), the Commission launched in 2013 an initiative “Ecology Industrial and Territorial” for regional projects. This initiative offers an original accompaniment to motivated territories which are already engaged in environmental initiatives.
- Overseas: regions can adapt the rules to their territory. The legislative and regulatory regime in the overseas communities is the same as in the hexagon, but may be subject to adjustments. As a result, in order to take account of their specificities, the law may allow these regions to determine the rules applicable in their territory. Guadeloupe has been the first French region to obtain legislative authority in the field of energy in 2009. This approach was followed by Martinique which has the same prerogative since 2011.
Press coordination ARF: Emmanuel Georges-Picot 01.45.55.82.48 email@example.com
14 debates in the regions
14 French regions (Aquitaine, Auvergne, Basse-Normandie, Centre – Val de Loire, Franche-Comté, Guadeloupe, Haute-Normandie, Île-de-France, Martinique, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Poitou-Charentes, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d’Azur, La Réunion, Rhône-Alpes), under the coordination of the Association of French regions are participating in the initiative.
13 debates are going to be organized: 1 per region, except in the Regions Haute-Normandie and Basse-Normandie. These two regions will organize only one coordinated debate.
In the context of decentralized cooperation, some regions provide logistical and / or financial assistance for the organization of eight local debates in 7 countries (Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Chile, Mauritius, Senegal, Tunisia, and Madagascar where will be held two debates).
Besides, the agglomeration Grenoble-Alpes Métropole is going to organise a debate too; bringing the total number of debates in the regions to 14.
World Wide Views in the French Regions
Support to foreign Regions for the organization of a debate
Madagascar (Region of Vakinankaratra)
>>one coordinated debate
Madagascar (Region of Atsinanana)
CENTRE – VAL DE LOIRE
Senegal (Region of Saint-Louis)
Tunisia (Governorate of Monastir)
GRENOBLE – ALPES METROPOLE